How Meditation can IMPROVE your Mental and Emotional Wellbeing
Quote: "If you have time to breathe you have time to meditate. You breathe when you walk. You breathe when you stand. You breathe when you lie down." - Ajahn Amaro
Meditation is has been around for a long time and is practice by many people for various reasons. As silly as it sounds, most people that practice meditation cannot explain what meditation is. So, what is meditation? It is derived from two Latin words meditari (to think, dwell upon, to exercise the mind), and mederi (to heal).
Meditation is the activity of focusing your mind on one thing only free of scattered thoughts. It results in your mind being calm, quiet and alert. Think of meditation as fitness for the mind. Just as you train and nourish the body, you must also do the same for your mind.
Different ways to Meditate
There is Concentration Meditation which involves the person focusing on a single point. You could be standing, lying on your back or seated in a particular position. This could involve the use of breath control, repeating a mantra or a single word, or focusing your eyes on an object. When your mind begins to wander, you refocus by concentrating on that single point again. This will improve your ability to concentrate and calm the mind.
This type of meditation is to be aware of any thoughts that enter your mind. When these thought enter your mind, the goal is not to get involved with those thoughts using judgement, but to be aware of each thought as it arrives.
Over time, you will develop an inner balance and be more aware of our habits to pass judgement on thoughts that are good and bad.
Benefits of Meditation
Practicing meditation can bring about many benefits.
Improves your happiness by:
- Increasing positive emotions.
- Decreasing depression, stress and anxiety.
Improves Self Control
- This leads to a decrease in uncontrolled angry outbursts.
- Ability to reflect and see both points of view on an issue.
- Allows you to improve focus and attention.
- Improves your memory and ability to recall things.
- Improves your ability to multitask.
- Develops your creative thinking processes.
Makes you Wiser
- You develop the ability to master your thoughts and therefore your emotions, words spoken and actions taken.
Why should you Meditate?
Many of us are familiar with physical training and nutrition, but how many of us are familiar with training the mind? Health and fitness is not just a case of physical wellbeing, it should also be combined with training to take care of mental and emotional wellbeing. Think of it as an integrated form of health and fitness.
How to get the Best Out of Meditation
- Do it first thing in the morning upon waking up.
- Perform meditation in an area that is dark and quiet and where you will be uninterrupted.
- Start with 5 minutes and build up to 20 minutes. Once you can do that, build up to 30 -45 minutes on a consistent basis and you will have a good knowledge and basis to greatly benefit from meditation.
Now that you know that meditation is a great way to improve your health and make you a better person, the most important thing is to make a start. What’s stopping you?